It’s a crazy world we live in. In this environment of commercialism and materialism, we’ve been brainwashed into thinking that true happiness comes from external objects. At some point in your life, you will notice that no matter how much wealth we acquire, there’s always something better. Even after buying that brand new, exquisitely stunning BMW or that classic Southern mansion by the sea in Savannah, Georgia, they lose their appeal after some time and we go looking for something else. The truth is, happiness or fulfillment comes from within ourselves… from seeing ourselves grow, from pausing and reflecting on the significant changes in our lives. This is when we feel a great sense of meaning and purpose. Fulfillment doesn’t come from the exterior. It comes from being thankful for personal milestones we go through which motivates us, even more, to go on driving for success. This makes all our efforts and sacrifices worthwhile.
Five ways to achieve success and discover fulfillment:
- Psych yourself up for personal and professional growth – Fulfillment comes out as a cause of action. So, get yourself deeply involved in actions leading to self-improvement. Have a thirst for knowledge. Keep your mind open to new thoughts and new ideas. YOU … can always become a better person.
- Share your blessings and skills with others – Get into the charity habit. Contribute to others. Help others and make yourself feel good.
- Live for today – Immerse yourself in the present moment. It should boost your productivity and happiness because the more you’re able to connect and hold on to the stillness of the here and now, the lower your anxiety and frustration become … and the greater your focus.
- Drop your sense of entitlement – Forget the “I should have had that..” or “I should have been credited for that” … and a lot of other “I should have…” Instead, shift your concentration on what is and be grateful for what you have rather than brood and mope around over what you don’t have.
- Be in touch with something bigger than you. When you immerse yourself in the wonder of Mother Nature with the majesty of its towering mountains and the vastness of its oceans, you get to realize over time how small and meaningless your complaints really are. Remember not to give your problems any power to make them bigger than they need to be.
These then are the five ways to experience true fulfillment and happiness. So, starting today, stop expecting. Instead, start appreciating.